I like to ask people a trick question; “Who was the wisest person to ever live?” Solomon! Nope. Jesus! That’s why when I’m looking for an example to follow, I always go to Jesus first. So when we are looking for a role model with AIM, clear purpose in life, Jesus is our “Go To” person.
So what was Jesus’s AIM? First, He was perfectly aligned with the Father and His purpose . Consider the following passages;
- Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner. (John 5.19)
- For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak. (John 12.49)
- “Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done.” (Luke 22.42)
But what about intimacy? What kind of example did Jesus set for us between He and the Father?
- And behold, a voice out of the heavens said, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased.” (Matthew 3.17)
- All things have been handed over to Me by My Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.” (Luke 10.22)
- And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, “Father, INTO YOUR HANDS I COMMIT MY SPIRIT.” Having said this, He breathed His last. (Luke 23.46)
And lastly, how did Jesus model a clear sense of calling to His mission or ministry?
- He said to them, “Let us go somewhere else to the towns nearby, so that I may preach there also; for that is what I came for.” (Mark 1.38)
- For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.” (Luke 19.10)
- I glorified You on the earth, having accomplished the work which You have given Me to do. (John 17.4)
So it’s pretty clear that Jesus is a great role model on what it looks like to have a crystal clear purpose in life. Jesus had His AIM. Now we need to take a page out of His playbook and discover our AIM too.